Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fashionable 2 B Blind

Last year my daughter told me she was having trouble with her vision and might need glasses so I took her to our child optometrist of choice, Dr Crosseyes, who told us that she was just fine. Well three weeks ago I get a notice from school that she has failed a mandated vision exam and needs to be checked by a doctor. I gave her my own vision tests which she failed with flying colors.

We just got back home from visiting Dr CrossEyes again and again he doesn't think Sam needs glasses as much as she WANTS glasses and judging from her reaction I agree... I was duped. You never saw someone look so disappointed that they had healthy, fully functional eyes. Clearly the fashion of wearing glasses trumped the nuisance that is wearing glasses. As a four-eyed freak of 35 years I testified to her luck but she didn't want to hear any of it. Clearly, among 9 year old girls, myopia is all the fashion rage.

I finally did manage to calm her disappointment with one clinging hope. There was a reasonable chance she would need braces. A girl can dream.

No comments: